- This event has passed.
Social Justice Leadership Retreat 2022
November 11, 2022 @ 4:30 pm - November 13, 2022 @ 4:30 pm
The Social Justice Leadership Retreat (SJLR) helps students explore their personal stories and experiences in relation to their peers and in the contexts of systems of power and oppression. SJLR is held annually at an off-site retreat.
By participating in the Social Justice Leadership Retreat, students:
- Identify their own multiple intersecting identities, experiences and biases, and how they map on to concepts of privilege, dominance, and oppression.
- Explain how their identities and experiences influence their understanding of leadership.
- Demonstrate an understanding of their role in interrupting bias and prejudice in themselves and their community, and their role in developing strategies to build positive communities.
This year, UW-Madison’s Social Justice Leadership Retreat will engage approximately 60 undergraduate students and 10 facilitators for 3 days of meaningful activities and story sharing. SJLR is an immersive and cohort based experience focused on educating students about the impact of identity, the dynamics of power and privilege, and strategies to create change. Priority registration is October 1, 2022 with applications taken on a rolling basis until November 11th.
- November 11, 2022 @ 4:30 pm
- November 13, 2022 @ 4:30 pm
- Event Category:
- Leadership Certificate
- Event Tags:
- Bridge-building and collaboration, Conference, Connection and community, Context and Culture, Inclusive engagement, Interactive, Interpersonal Communication, Leadership, Leadership Certificate Events, Learning and development of others, Self-awareness, Social Justice